Frequently Asked Questions about studying in Canada


What is the procedure to study in Canada?

In order to study and remain in Canada for a period of six months or longer, the first step is to get admission to a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) recognized by the government of Canada. Only designated institutions can be used to support a study permit application. Once an individual receives a letter of acceptance from a DLI, he or she may be able to apply for a study permit. Applications may be made online or by mail, from outside of Canada.

All new study permits are issued at a Canadian port of entry. An applicant who has submitted an application to a foreign Canadian Visa Office will be issued a letter of approval advising him or her to travel to a Canadian port of entry to have the study permit issued in his or her passport. A study permit should be issued for the duration of the person’s studies.

Applicants from countries requiring a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) must submit their passports along with their study permit application to a Canadian Visa Office abroad. A TRV will be issued in the passport to allow such applicants to travel to Canada to have their study permits issued at a Canadian port of entry.

What is the difference between Study permit and Temporary Resident Visa?

While a study permit authorizes international students to pursue their studies while in Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows a person to enter Canada. Depending on the country of citizenship, an international student may need a visa for entry.

Applicants from countries requiring a TRV must submit their passports along with their study permit application to a Canadian Visa Office abroad. A TRV will be issued in the passport to allow such applicants to travel to Canada to have their study permits issued at a Canadian port of entry.

What is the processing time for a study permit?

Paper applications are processed in an average of seven weeks, with processing times ranging from two to 19 weeks, depending on the visa office. Processing times are usually significantly lower using online methods

Is medical exam required for a study permit?

An applicant may need to do a medical exam if:

  • he or she plans to remain in Canada for more than six months; and/or
  • he or she lived for six or more consecutive months in a country or territory designated as high risk for certain diseases during the year immediately before the date he or she wants to enter Canada

Is Police Clearance Certificate required for a study permit application?

An applicant may need a criminal record check if he or she intends to come to Canada as a student. If required, he or she will have to obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where he or she has lived for six or more months consecutively since the age of 18. Police certificates are required to determine if applicants have a criminal record. They also help visa officers make sure applicants are not a security risk to Canada

Can spouse be included on the application?

If a potential student plans to study full-time, his or her spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit. He or she must pass a medical exam. An offer of employment is not required. This open work permit is appropriate if the spouse is accompanying the student but is not a student himself or herself. In the study permit application, the applicant should indicate that the spouse will accompanying him or her to Canada. The applicant could mention in the application cover letter that he or she want an open work permit for his or her spouse.

If the accompanying spouse wishes to study here, he or she should apply for his or her own study permit.

Can children accompany an International student to Canada?

Yes. Furthermore, an applicant may submit an application for a study permit for his or her accompanying minor children. This can be done when the applicants submits his or her own study permit application. A letter of acceptance from a Canadian DLI will not be required for accompanying minor children who intend to study in Canada.

If an individual is already in Canada on a study or work permit, his or her accompanying minor child may study without a study permit.

The age of majority is different in each province and territory, although it is usually 18 or 19 years of age. Anyone under the age of majority is considered to be a minor.

 Is there a study permit for short courses?

There is a study permit exemption for short courses that conclude within six months or less. However, if a course is longer than six months, the potential student will need to apply for a study permit

What are the common requirements into getting accepted in a Canadian University/College?
In order to get admitted in a Canadian tertiary education institution there are requirements students will have to meet, whether it I an undergraduate or a postgraduate program. Depending on the field of studies, programs and other relevant factors competition can vary. The two essential criteria are however, high school grades/performance as well as language skills be it English (in most of the provinces) or French in francophone ones.

What type of language skill does one need in order to get accepted in a Canadian post-secondary institution?
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores are the most common language requirement for American universities. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam scores are the most common language requirement for Canadian universities. But most universities will accept either test as proof of your English language ability. You can take TOEFL and IELTS exams at testing centers worldwide.

How do I apply in a Canadian University/College?
By submitting all the necessary documentation and additional obligatory procedures via online routes. The answer will also be sent to you via mail

What type of documentation will I need in order to apply for a student visa in Canada?

Applicants are generally required:

  • Proof of acceptance and enrolment to an accredited academic institution in Canada;
  • Possess a valid passport/travel document, and provide proof of financial support;
  • Ties to their home country and evidence of their intention to leave Canada at the end of their studies.

Additionally, students have to have proof of no criminal history or endangering medical conditions of any sort and willingly undergo medical testing as required.

Is it possible to stay in Canada after graduation?

An individual who has studied full-time at a qualifying institution for at least eight months may apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) within 90 days of receiving the final marks. The study permit must be valid at the time of the application. The PGWP is generally issued for the same duration as the applicant's studies, but for a minimum of eight months and a maximum of three years.

Can I work while studying in Canada?
Working in Canada as a student is only possible if you apply for a work permit; otherwise international students can take up solely on-campus jobs.

What are the requirements in order to obtain a work permit, while studying in Canada?
To qualify for the work permit, you must have a valid study permit and be a full-time student at a recognized postsecondary educational institution. Recognized institutions generally include a public, post-secondary college or university and degree-granting programs offered by private institutions throughout Canada.

How do I get the residency permit once in Canada?
You must apply for a study permit from outside Canada, at the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live in.

Along with the application form which you will download online, you have to attach the following document in order to apply for a study permit.

  • Your letter of acceptance;
  • Proof of your identity;
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Canada